Friday, June 5, 2015

Little Letters and Placemats and Nettie

This weekend we are meeting our very good friends, grand niece, for the first time.  We have been family friends for the past 30 some odd years. To celebrate this meeting I made her a quilt.




 It is from the Little Letters Quilt Along that Temecula Quilt Company had last fall.  I just love this quilt for little ones.


I had this wonderful little flower print in my stash that I think went perfectly with it.

I was so happy when I got it finished and was ready to wrap it when I remembered this wonderful Easy Peasy Backpack Tutorial.  I was so excited with the idea and to be done before deadline that I got carried away with myself. I really need to slow down.



See the little mishap in the photo. Should have been through the loop.

The big problem was that the tutorial calls for knotting the ends of the strap strips.  I like mine nicely sewn together better than tied.  It would have been so much easier to untie a knot. Oh well. Ripper and I had a lovely chat while undoing a few stitches.




Here is the quilt all wrapped up and ready to go. I am really happy with the outcome and I am pretty sure she will be happy too.


This week at our quild meeting we had a mini class on making the Mile A Minute Quilt. It's the quilt where you use your small scraps to make blocks and then you make them into a quilt.  This version is when you use a long strip of fabric as a starting point to speed up the process.  It works quite well.



Here a couple of the blocks I made during the meeting.   I am currently participating in the  Scrap Vortex QAL with AmandaJean of Crazy Mom Quilts.  Her blocks are similar so I didn't want to make more of this new version at this time.


I used the blocks I made at the guild meeting to make a couple of place mats. I just knew if I didn't use them for something immediately I would toss them in a baggy and they would sit there forever.



I'm really thrilled with how they turned out.

Just an update on Nettie,  she has made herself at home.  A picture is worth a thousand words.




We gave her the recliner but she apparently felt she deserved bigger and better. She has not only taken over the love seat but the quilt as well.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and placemats. I must try that technique too and have fun like you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little Letters was a fun quilt and everyone did such a super job in making that pattern their own - very cute. Love the idea of the bag to gift the quilt in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Little Letters quilt. It will be a hit for sure.

    Nettie knows a good thing when she sees it. I would choose the quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, that little alphabet makes a wonderful quilt for a little one. Your quilt is perfect. Great scrappy projects too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Letter quilt and I know that special little one will too. So I must ask...Those words you had with your seam ripper??? Were they 4 letter ones!
    LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely gift. Thanks for the link to the backpack tutorial. Visiting from FIUF.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Selina, I love your little quilt in a back pack. I hope to make this little alphabet quilt some day. A friend of mine just made a mile a minute quilt. I had not heard of this yet but I have heard of crumb quilt patches. Scrappy makes my heart happy. I need to try it. Your doggie makes me smile as I have a dog who loves to snuggle where ever there is a quilt or blanket. : )
    Have a beautiful day. Janita.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes indeed, that's a beautiful Little Letters quilt. What a great gift.

    My Little Letters are sitting sad and neglected - I've made them all, just need to assemble the top now. They were certainly fun to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message.